We currently have the following job openings
Software Engineer IArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: Provide support to the implementation of a new cloud based data management storage system at the Arecibo Observatory. Perform cataloging and indexing of data archives, and support new data uploads into the platform.Read More
Project SchedulerArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: The Project Scheduler is a key member of the project management team, responsible for creating, updating and maintaining project schedules and plans across the organization. Position will interact with the technical and management teams to ensure each project is clearly defined, and executed throughout its life-cycle.Read More
Motion Control SpecialistArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: Responsible of the maintenance, upgrades and documentation of motion control systems and instrumentation of the radio-telescopes at the Arecibo Observatory. Provide support to other areas at the Electronics Department, particularly the communications sections.Read More
Radio Frequency Interface (RFI) Specialist / EngineerArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: Monitor the Radio Frequency (RF) spectrum and take the corrective actions to ensure that the AO protected radio bands have no interference and minimize the interference of adjacent bands. Respond to RFI complaints and find the cause of interference. Perform RFI tests and design RF shielding for equipment installed or to be installed at AO. Monitor the radiation levels of our transmitters. Provide support to other areas at the Electronics Department, particularly the analog systems section.Read More
Telescope Maintenance SupervisorArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: Yang Enterprises is seeking a Mechanical/Civil Engineer to join the Facilities/Telescope Maintenance and Engineering Department at the Arecibo Observatory, a multidisciplinary science facility in Puerto Rico that includes the world’s most sensitive radio-telescope and other facilities. This position will lead the Telescope maintenance crew consisting of several maintenance technicians.Read More
Science Operations AssociateArecibo, Puerto Rico
- Responsible for facilitating activities that promote advancement of observatory science and technical operations, coordinating experimental campaigns and extend support to user’s-based instrumentation, experiments and observations. Identify problems that could hamper the scientific investigations and help the scientists in overcoming such issues that can be either of technical or administrative in nature.
- Supports and performs customer or staff science observations in radioastronomy, engineering, space and atmospheric sciences and planetary sciences.
- Performs data acquisition, including interactions with users and other observatory staff.
- Participates in activities involving regular maintenance of the on-site/off-site equipment to assist scientific projects.
- Provide support to user’s-based instrumentation, experiments and observations.
- Provide logistics support for equipment deployment and outreach activities.
- Perform analysis and processing of data from facility or user-based equipment.
- Responsible for the safety of the laboratory equipment and data.
- Support upgrades, testing and commissioning tasks associated with new capabilities/equipment.
- Generate report and metrics associated with equipment performance and data quality.
- Coordinate with maintenance, engineering and scientific staff to plan and support scientific observations or campaigns.
- Perform trouble shooting, documenting and working through faults in complex hardware and software systems. Interface with Windows, Linux or Unix environment through both command-line interfaces and GUIs.
- Contributes to general observatory service and support tasks aligned with the interests of the observatory.
- Support improvement projects related to laboratory equipment and facilities.
- Preparation of user manuals or standard operating procedures for scientific equipment or laboratory operations.
Senior Observatory Scientist - Team LeadArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description:The Arecibo Observatory (AO) is looking for a talented senior observatory scientist to lead the Space and Atmospheric Science (SAS) team at the observatory. We seek a candidate who will undertake the following tasks: • Serve as technical leader for the space and atmospheric science team. • Mentor and train staff in the SAS group. • Write proposals for new external funding. • Work in conjunction with the science manager, the principal scientist and the deputy principal scientist to develop a strategy to represent Arecibo observatory and Arecibo science interests in the decadal survey.Read More
Observatory Scientist or Senior Observatory Scientist, Interferometry RadioastronomyArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: The Arecibo Observatory (AO), part of the University of Central Florida (UCF), is seeking a talented observatory scientist or senior observatory scientist in Interferometry Radioastronomy in Puerto Rico. The Arecibo Observatory (AO) is famous for its outstanding research in radio astronomy, solar-system studies, and space and atmospheric sciences, is home to the world’s second largest radio/radar telescope. AO invites applicants to apply for the observatory scientist positions in observational radio astronomy, preferably with Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) experience.Read More
Observatory ScientistArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: The Arecibo Observatory (AO), part of University of Central Florida (UCF), is seeking a talented observatory scientist for the Space and Atmospheric Science group. The research emphasis of the group is plasma aeronomy and physics, as well as space weather using the 430 MHz Incoherent, scatter radar (ISR) and the support cluster of radio receivers and passive-and-active optics placed onsite and in the AO remote facility in Culebra Island.Read More