- Arecibo Observatory captures revealing images of Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova23 May, 2017
- Arecibo refines our knowledge of a potentially hazardous asteroid19 Apr, 2017
- REU Stories06 Apr, 2017
- Gaia Weighs in on the Pleiades Distance Controversy27 Jan, 2017
- Discovery Announcement of Binary System (163693) Atira20 Jan, 2017
- Arecibo Puts Limits on Gravitational Wave Models24 Dec, 2015
Byadmin23 May 2017 Planetary
Though not visible to the naked eye or even with binoculars, the green-tailed Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova (HMP) did not escape the gaze of the world-renowned Arecibo Observatory. Scientists from the University of Arizona’s Lunar and Planetary Laboratory (LPL) and the Universities Space Research Association (USRA) at Arecibo Observatory have been studying the comet with radar to better understand its solid nucleus and the dusty coma that surrounds it.